The idea of organizing a Cantemus International Choral Festival first ocurred more than twenty years ago, after our ensembles had made friends with so many singers in other choirs in Hungary and abroad during their worldwide concert tours over the past few decades. We thought ’Why don’t we create an opportunity in Nyíregyháza for our existing and potential friends to meet and an opportunity for other friends of choral music to meet us all together?’
Since then the Cantemus Choral Institute and the Zoltán Kodály Primary School in Nyíregyháza have opened their doors many times to provide the oppurtunity for singers of all ages and in different types of choirs. We are now preparing to welcome children’s, youth and adult choirs of equal or mixed voices to the 13th Cantemus International Choral Festival wich will be held from the 16th to the 21st of August 2020.
- Welcome and opening concert in the honour of the participating choirs performed by the world famous Cantemus choirs.
- Folklore night – an opportunity for choirs to perform traditional music or arrangements of traditional music from their own countries. The festival welcomes traditional costumes and choreography.
- Qualifying Competition – optional. The Festival’s Artistic Committee encourages all
- choirs to enter this friendly competition with an opportunity to win the Festival Grand Prix and several Special Prizes.
- Participating choirs will have the opportunity to give concerts in many of our county’s most beautiful churches.
- Gala Concert – the grand finale of the Festival including the joint singing of all participating choirs in front of an anticipated audience of 1500 people.
- The Festival is an enjoyable and uplifting experience which reunites old friends and creates new friendships. The traditional Hungarian folk dance party after the Gala Concert is always one of the most memorable events.
- During the Festival the Artistic Director Dénes Szabó will also hold a conducting course. This will give an opportunity for choral conductors to practise their conducting with the Cantemus Children’s Choir and the Pro Musica Girls’ Choir. Fees for this special course are not included in the festival participation fee.
- Detailed programme of the Festival will be published after the participating choirs have been chosen and confirmed by the Artistic Committee.